Between Α and Ω

My name is Dasrik and if you disagree, you are wrong.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

FUNimation ruined JINKI:Extend

This is one of my favorite anime shows, as a few people here know. I could live with or without the manga, as I think the mangaka is kind of clueless about human nature, but the anime is priceless to me.

Which is why I'm pretty furious about this.

I just watched the first dubbed episode that FUNi came out with, and my mind is reeling with anger. Why? Well, watch it for yourself if you dare, but I'll lay out my initial qualms.

* Aoba's grandmother's death is a key plot point because Aoba doesn't understand the reality of death. Dub throws the "YOU CAN'T DIE!" line into her mouth just because that's what people do when loved ones die automatically, right?

* Ryouhei is not pronounced "REE-YO-HEY". VIZ may mangle pronunciations from time to time, but at least they try. On that note, ruining the voice of one of my favorite anime male characters ever is unforgivable.

* Okay, it's been awhile since I've seen the original to confirm this, and I can't check because somehow every single fansub of JINKI:Extend on the net has mysteriously disappeared, but the keepsake Aoba has wasn't necessarily her grandmother's. At least, I don't think she said so with her voice. When I heard her say that, all I heard was "I CAN SEE THEIR PARACHUTES".

* "Let's be careful out there"... yeah. 'Cause Venezuelans totally know enough about "Hill Street Blues" to reference it.

* The sexism in American culture clearly shows here. Ryouhei in the original is just gruff and unlikable, and makes sexist jokes to push people away, but the dub takes it too far by throwing in sexist slang when there wasn't any. Also, cussing doesn't automatically make you badass.

* Speaking of sexism, remember those terrifying silent episode previews that the show had? Gone. Instead we have some corny soundtrack with Shizuka's VA drolly and monotonely trying to seduce us with the phrase "Watch it, you know you want to." I know I do not want to. GTFO with that shit.

* The only VA I recognized was Kira Vincent Davis, and she wasn't even playing a character I remember.

Holy crap, was this bad. I am not watching episode 2. I'm just going to wait until I can somehow get a pirate DVD or something. There's no way I'm trusting either FUNimation or ADV Films after this. The awful "uncut" Sailor Moon DVDs were bad enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home