Between Α and Ω

My name is Dasrik and if you disagree, you are wrong.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

"Good game" - STOP SAYING IT.

I came to an epiphany today. I have a blog. I have things to say to no one in particular. Why not use my blog to - yanno - say those things? So let's get started.

And let's get started with a big one - "Good game". It's a common practice in Yu-Gi-Oh to say "good game" (or, worse yet, the shorthand "gg") after a duel - ANY duel. I find this more insulting than anything, and here's why.

1) When this is said, it usually wasn't a good game for the opponent. He got worked, owned, pasted, etc. You know it. Those matches where your opponent doesn't seem to exist? Yeah, those ones. Saying "gg" (you'll find the full "good game" is never said in those situations) just hammers the point home that you are another step in your opponent's glorious path to success. You shouldn't be surprised if they snap at you afterwards. We see through your false modesty.

2) If you lose and say this, unless you are genuine, you are an even bigger hypocrite. It is an attempt to mollify what you know was a terrible loss on your part. You shouldn't have to say it was a good game if it wasn't. If you got your ass kicked, you probably want to just acknowledge it with a simple "You kicked my ass, broski", if you say anything at all. I'd certainly prefer it to the empty "gg" that you say while your mind thinks "If I had a better hand I'd have crushed him!!!!111one"

In Street Fighter tournaments, the "gg" takes the form of the customary handshake after a match. I remember a tournament match I had once in CvS2. I completely walked all over the opponent, and he knew it, too. I knew he was pissed and would rather punch me than acknowledge that I beat him. But then he did the customary "polite" thing. I did my own customary thing - I walked away without saying anything. I had wasted time and wanted to get back to preparing for my next match.

I'm not saying that it's good to be an asshole; there's a chance I misread that dude and he was genuinely confused and hurt by my lack of manners. But he probably learned something that day after all was said and done - don't piss on someone's leg, and then tell them it's raining. I'm not a good player. If you can't beat me, you got to work on your fundamentals. From there, we can talk.

In closing, sometimes the most polite thing to do is just walk away without saying anything.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hehe, you play yvd don't you?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home