Between Α and Ω

My name is Dasrik and if you disagree, you are wrong.

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Games and self-hypnosis

Well, first time in awhile: I'm writing about games again!

This time, I want to talk about combos and infinites: infinites in particular. As most of you know, an infinite combo is a combo that can loop indefinitely. Magneto and Iron Man have well known infinites in Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and most characters in X-Men vs. Street Fighter have practical infinites.

Some people see these combos as easy to do, but here's the thing: I can't do them.

I'm not sure what it is when I try to do them. I could best describe it as my brain short circuiting. I can get at most two repetitions before my brain starts second guessing itself and disrupting my rhythm. I have to wonder if this is unique to me or if other people get this. I can do most of these infinites in practice mode, but for some reason when it's against another person, I lose my nerve.

I have observed other people who can execute the infinites successfully, and it seems to me that many of them enter a state of self-hypnosis where they lose consciousness of their own selves and merely execute the combo. People who can do resets (interrupting the combo with another mixup point) seem to be able to enter in and out of this state at will, although there are some people that use drugs to achieve this state (and thus rely on pre-programmed 'reset' tactics).

I myself don't use drugs such as marijuana and E. The highest caliber of drug I use is Vicodin, and even that doesn't let me get the mental state required to do infinites well (or really any kind of flashy combo). I was wondering if any of you players who can do the infinites could give me an idea of how it feels when you're doing these combos.

For once, I'm not being judgmental or even harshly observant. I hope this entry gets some replies.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger Master Bigode said…

    Not being able to do stuff that requires skill while nervous is normal.
    Most people aren't able to do high kicks while fighting IRL because they get so nervous that they end up fighting using their instincts rather than their skills.
    The only way overcome this is by learning how to control your emotions, and training is the best way to do that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home