Between Α and Ω

My name is Dasrik and if you disagree, you are wrong.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Music reviews...

I'm starting to notice that a lot of music reviewers are taking a rather vehement tone. "Questionable Content" notwithstanding, people seem to have no sense of humor regarding their taste in music, and speak out of both sides of their mouth regarding certain iconic artists. Far be it from me to join in the noise. I just bought a few records, and I want to review them, and I figure this is a good place for it.

Okay, awaaay we go...

Rush "Moving Pictures": I've actually "had" this album before the computer crash, but haven't actually bought it until now. And, quite frankly, this album is amazing and essential. If you don't like this album, I'm going to have to question your sanity. It contains the quintessential geek driver's anthem ("Red Barchetta"), the greatest musical testimony of fame ever recorded ("Limelight"), and of course, "Tom Sawyer", for those of you that remember. What would I rank it? Well, I try to only buy records that are nines or tens. This is definitely a ten.

Rush "Vapor Trails": Rush's newest non-cover album. It's hard to believe this came out in 2002. This album is very unlike "Moving Pictures"; it's quite rough around the edges and, if it weren't for the unmistakable voice of Geddy Lee, could be taken as a Tool record. There's a lot of catharsis here, as this is the first record Neil Peart wrote since he lost his daughter and wife. But you come out feeling hopeful and willing to move forward, unlike anything that ever came out of the mind of Maynard James Keenan. (Yes, I don't like him.) This would be another ten, but if you've never heard Rush before, listen to "Moving Pictures" or "2112" first.

The Smashing Pumpkins "Greatest Hits (or, Rotten Apples)": I'm still not sure why I bought this. I wanted to re-purchase Richard Ashcroft's "Human Conditions", but the record store didn't have it, and I was feeling sentimental when I saw this. Frankly, the record is kind of sad for a few reasons - it relates Corgan's ostracization from the music scene (not that him or I care about such things), and it's missing a few important songs, such as "Thirty-Three". But hey, it has the only purchasable version of "Untitled" and most of the good songs. This one I'd have to give an eight.

Billy Corgan "TheFutureEmbrace": I've been looking forward to buying this album for a long time, and now that I have it, I am frankly a little bit disappointed. A little bit, mind you. I really like the album, but it's not as immersive as his work with the Pumpkins. Critics like to tear Billy Corgan apart, and quite frankly I think most of them are fucktarded, but a few of them unfortunately make good points - the album has a hint of stagnation. There are some lovely songs ("A-100" and the single "Walking Shade") and there's nothing that stands out as bad, but it doesn't sound as happy as "Mary Star of the Sea". Number? Forget it, I'd rather not in this case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home